Promoting Responsable Tourism for Heritage Protection and Sustainable Developement in Iran
Co-funded by DEVCO (European Commission Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development) and with a view to expanding economic opportunities in the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Promoting Responsible Tourism for Heritage Protection and Sustainable Development project aims to improve the capacity of local development actors to promote and manage responsible tourism as a resource for protecting cultural heritage, thus contributing to employment generation and sustainable development.
In the past few years, Iran has witnessed an increase in tourism demand for heritage and cultural sites and experiences. Safeguarding common heritage resources amidst intense pressure of needs and demands of tourism development requires, at a global and local level, strong local and international cooperation and well-informed public and local decision-makersContextualised in the current economic situation of the Islamic Republic of Iran, impacted by re-imposed sanctions, wherein the international community needs to take on greater responsibility to support the efforts of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran to foster innovative and alternative economic opportunities for its people, this cooperation project will assist local governments in developing and promoting responsible tourism.
Through raising public awareness (through exhibitions/fairs/ seminars) on the determinants and long term economic benefit of heritage protection and responsible tourism, this project will inform the community so that they can benefit from and promote responsible heritage tourism and also engage better in determining heritage (cultural, religious, natural) protection.
By building capacity amongst key local stakeholders, especially municipalities, NGOs, business associations and professionals, in four provinces of the Islamic Republic of Iran, to develop a participated Heritage Protection Strategy and Responsible Tourism Action Plan, this project will enhance the contribution of local cultural and religious heritage actors in managing sustainable tourism efficiently, responsibly, and sustainably based on the local community context and needs.
By training traditional and emerging tourism and heritage related professions and promoting exposure and knowledge-exchange amongst development actors in Iran and Italy, the project is expected to open new possibilities for collaboration at local and international levels.
By piloting new approaches in Iran for responsible tourism, identifying ways to better integrate tourism with tangible and intangible religious, cultural, natural heritage protection as a competitive factor, promoting the provincial brand and attracting new tourism potentials, as well as building citizen’s awareness on the same, this project is expected to expand economic opportunities and stimulate tourism demand through provincial brands and targeted responsible tourism offers. Through mutual learning amongst Iranian and European entities, it is expected that this cooperation project will economically benefit local communities while contributing to sustainable development.
Activity 1: Create a Community of Practise for Responsible Tourism
- Select local organisations (NGOs, business associations, municipalities) from four target provinces, interested in promoting responsible cultural and religious heritage tourism in their towns/cities.
- Conduct capacity needs and gap assessment of selected organisations.
Activity 2: Develop and manage online platform for distance learning and responsible tourism marketing
- Develop a responsible tourism web site and an e-learning platform.
- Develop online training and evaluation tools and standards for training activities.
- Develop and promote responsible tourism initiatives in the four target provinces.
Activity 3. Conduct a training programme on Responsible Tourism training programme
- Develop tailor made training modules and tool kits, based on capacity needs of cultural and religious heritage protection and responsible tourism actors – organisations, local authorities, business associations, heritage professionals.
- Train local cultural and religious tourism stakeholders in building public awareness on linkages between cultural and religious heritage protection and responsible tourism.
- Train local NGOs and concerned local authorities on designing a heritage protection strategy and responsible cultural and religious tourism development action plans for municipalities.
- Train tourism actors, especially tourism businesses, in using toolkits for managing tourism such that it enhances the heritage capital and sustainable tourism.
- Produce targeted media products on local cultural and religious resources to promote responsible tourism amongst local people, market the provincial brands and support the training programme.
Activity 4. Develop Heritage Protection Strategy and Responsible Tourism Action Plan
- Conduct value chain analysis for target municipalities to identify tourism opportunities impacting heritage protection, develop guidelines for environmentally and socially sustainable tourism, understand the tourism market and customer needs and develop targeted marketing.
- Trained organisations and local authorities build people’s awareness on value and socio-economic benefits of heritage protection and responsible tourism (exhibitions/fairs/ seminars).
- Trained NGOs and local authorities develop a Heritage Protection Strategy and Responsible Tourism Action Plan for select municipalities in four provinces.
Activity 5. Expand cultural and religious tourism livelihoods and business opportunities
- Develop a provincial cultural/religious heritage tourism brand and responsible tourism offers for select municipalities and promote the brand.
- Pilot tourism offers in select municipalities, marketing the brand and linking to tour operators in EU.
Select municipalities participate in a tourism specific exhibition in Italy /EUShare Project Results and lessons learned.
- Share Project Results and lessons learned.
Produce articles and newsletters through life of project on heritage protection and promote responsible heritage tourism will be produced.
We’ll keep you in the loop with our latest news and events.